Welcome to "Notes from the Principal," an online newsletter to the community from A. A. Gates Elementary School Principal, Julie Podolak. To receive these notes as they come out, please click here.
May 31, 2019
“Opening minds, Nurturing hearts…Imagine the PAWSibilities!” If you’ve been reading our weekly news all year, you probably remember many references to that slogan. It was created last summer by a group of staff members, with input from all stakeholders, and we use the slogan to guide our daily work with students and staff. It is posted all around the school, on t-shirts, and is stated on the daily reminders.
During the summer, we want to continue to open minds and nurture hearts by providing students and families with resources to help support your child’s learning and well-being over the summer. Below are some resources that can help your child continue to learn and grow:
- SLAM (Summer Literacy and Math) – Did you register your child for the SLAM program? All students currently in grades UPK-6 are eligible to attend SLAM. The program runs from July 8-August 1 (Monday-Thursday) from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Students will be served breakfast and lunch during the program. If you still need information, please contact the elementary office or Mrs. Guy (email@example.com).
- Book Give Away – For the fifth year in a row, students will have the opportunity to take home gently used books. You can read these books with your child to help build his/her literacy skills. We are still accepting donations for the annual book give away; please send in any book donations to the Gates or Lehn office.
- Summer Reading Challenge – We will once again be hosting a summer reading challenge for our students. More information will come home with the students prior to the end of the school year.
- UPK and Kindergarten registration – If you haven’t registered your child for school yet, contact Jennifer Leader in the elementary office as soon as possible. She can be reached at 315-776-5728 ext. 1050 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Supplies - The district will continue to provide the majority of school supplies for our students again this year. Hopefully, this will lessen the burden that the cost of supplies places on families. A small list will be sent home and posted online in the summer.
If your family or child needs additional support during the summer, or if you are interested in learning more about any of the supports listed above, please reach out to us. You can contact the elementary office at 315-776-5728 ext. 1050 for assistance. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible. It is our continuing mission to open minds, nurture hearts, and imagine the PAWSibilities!